11.04.2011

Jeez, what's new? I went to Tin House's writing conference, and the Squaw Valley one too. My liver is doing alright, considering. Last month, thanks to Vayama.com and the generous, peaceful, delicious Limnisa Retreat, I spent two weeks in Greece. (I almost spent more than that, due to the protests and transportation strikes. After sweet-talking a Japanese tour bus and later bribing a local man to take me to the airport at 5am, I escaped a modern Athenian drama.)

Limnisa: a typical day.

After a wonderful week among locals in non-touristy, sometimes-egg-smelling Methana (writers: enter their story contest), I explored a few islands, the centerpiece of which was a visit to Santorini and Atlantis Books. In fact, I'm not embarrassed to admit that the entire final week of my trip was scheduled around visiting a book shop. I mean, the shop's in a cave house on a cliff on Santorini. And the employees sleep among the books. Lucky me--I got to crash there for a night, too.


In other writing news:

My story collection, Ms. Yamada's Toaster, is a finalist for the St. Lawrence Book Award from Black Lawrence Press. I like Black Lawrence's style, announcing a list of finalists before choosing a winner. Some presses announce everything at once, which takes the fun out of being named a finalist since you don't find out about your specialness until it's been officially deemed less special than someone else's. Like when someone tells you they saw this awesome thing that totally reminded them of you and they were gonna buy it for you...but then they didn't. Or something.


I've got a poem, "North Rim Love Song," in the current issue of FIELD.

What would you do if your wife confessed she used to have a tail? "The Blue Demon of Ikumi" won second prize in Salamander's fiction contest and will be out in their winter issue.



And...I've been awarded a fellowship to Playa, an artists' retreat in Summer Lake, Oregon. Looks very isolated and very beautiful--two of my favorite things.



And finally, my contribution to the "Under the Influence" feature over at Fiction Writers Review: the literary image to which I compare all images, thanks to my first writing teacher, Stuart Dybek.

1 comment:

John W. Evans said...

Awesome continuing run, Kel--congrats!