4.14.2010

Kerouacetera

The last day to apply for a residency at the Kerouac House is coming up. Get those apps in; this place is the real deal. They set you up, spoil you, then leave you alone. Thanks to this residency, I'm only a couple weeks from a full draft of the novel, a goal I didn't think I'd reach until late summer. I like that the house is a meeting place: tonight three students graduating from UCF's MFA program held a reading here. The place was packed, and as always, I ended the night with new friends, extra wine, and a cleaner kitchen than before anyone showed up.

Speaking of cool things about this house...has anyone heard of letterboxing? It's sort of like geocaching, but sans GPS, old-school Zelda-like: "an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming "treasure hunt" style outdoor quest." Word is there's a stamp hidden on the grounds here somewhere. (Be careful...letterboxing isn't risk-free.) More on this to come.


Couple other things:

April 24 @ the K House, I'm doing a flash fiction workshop, organized by MAD About Words. I think there are a couple spots left.

I'm heading to Bulgaria next month for the 2010 Sozopol Fiction Seminar, sponsored by the Elizabeth Kostova Foundation. The foundation supports and promotes all aspects of creative writing in Bulgaria.

And publishing stuff: "Rooey," a long story from Ms. Yamada's Toaster, is in the current issue (themed "How To Read Music") of The Literary Review. I've also got a poem in the new issue of Flyway.

No comments: